welcome

Welcome to C.O. Paleo :) A place for me to express my love or hatred of things and to share and store my recipes. This has all really been created out of selfishness. ;)

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Chipotle Sweet Potato salad with a side of no fish

 Summer in Central Oregon. Yah buddy.

Summer is my all time favorite season around Central Oregon. Duh, who doesn't love summer right?! All of my favorite activities are kind of dependent on the weather. Wakeboarding, tanning, naps in the sun, mountain biking, drinking beer in the sun and fishing. I love fishing. Fishing season opened on Saturday and I was stoked. I planned my first ever solo fishing trip. I go fishing by myself all the time but I used to go to a spot that was within walking distance of my house (I caught my very first brown trout at this spot last summer, two in one day actually!) This time I picked a new lake that I had never hear of before and set out at 6:45 am to slay fish. I didn't catch anything. Sigh. But I made friends with an old fisherman and got to watch him reel in a beautiful 26" rainbow. That was pretty cool.

 My first brown trouts (This is before Paleo & constant crossfit,don't judge me ;))
To go along with my excellent summer mood and summer activity I made sun tea and Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad. I love potato salad. It reminds me of Summertime and my mom. She makes a pretty epic potato salad. But sorry mom, my potato salad is better then yours. I threw caution into the wind and used mayo. I know that you can make "paleo mayo" but lets be honest, no one wants to make that shit. Happy summer! I hope you try this awesome salad at a picnic or something cool and summery like that.


Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad

Ingredients:

-6 small sweet potatoes, diced
-2.5 chicken breasts seasoned with garlic salt, paprika and black pepper
-1 cup olives, chopped
-6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
-1 cup celery, chopped
-3 TBS olive oil
-Olive oil mayo or Paleo mayo (if you're fancy)
-2 TBS whole grain dijon mustard
-1TSP chipotle chile pepper, ground
-Salt & pepper & garlic salt to taste

Directions

-Grill your chicken breasts
-While the chicken is grilling saute the sweet potatoes in olive oil and add the chipotle pepper ( I did this so that the potatoes could get golden and slightly crispy. I don't like how mushy they get when you boil them.)
-Once your chicken is done grilling, chop it up and throw it in a big bowl
-Add your sweet potatoes, celery, olives and eggs
-Add mayo until it reaches your desired potato salad consistency. (I probably used about two cups)
-Add mustard and continue mixing
-Season with salt & pepper and garlic salt to taste! (I think the garlic salt is the most important ingredient here FYI)

**You could add sweet pickles and onions to this to give it some more flavor even! I didn't have either on hand so I didn't worry about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment